Diagnosed at Age 30

I created this blog four days after my diagnosis at age 30, to share my story, connect with others and to share whatever I learn about premature ovarian failure (and/or insufficiency, depending on future diagnostics).

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Diagnosis via Voicemail

I always thought my first blog would be about some unique travel adventure, if not about my favorite places to hike, camp and visit in my beautiful home state of Arizona. But those things have been, somehow, easier to postpone sharing compared to the recent diagnosis I received via a voicemail message four days ago.

Background
I noticed something was wrong a few years ago (age 27) when I decided to stop taking the Pill as part of a bi-annual cleansing ritual I often performed. I was off the Pill for three months without my period returning. I was suffering night sweats and hot flashes. When I discussed these issues with my OB/GYN, she said that these symptoms occurred regularly with women who had been taking the Pill for many years and told me that I needed to get back on birth control (unless I wanted to conceive - at that time, I did not). At this time, I had never heard of Premature Ovarian Failure and wasn't investigating things on my own.

Back on the Pill, my periods resumed so I figured everything was normal. They were, however, pretty scant, short-lived and darker colored than I remembered them. I was considering returning to the doctor when they nearly dried up last year while still on birth control. However, I changed my diet a bit, wanting to try Dr. Weil's "anti-inflammatory" diet and my periods became healthy and persistent, almost wanting to start prior to its designated times. I should state now, that I've always been healthy and health-conscious. I was anorexic my junior-senior year in high school and since then, have been conscious about healthy amounts of body fat, nutrition and exercise. However, despite my health consciousness, I'd say I've always been more prone to sickness than most.

Back to last winter, things seem to be going really well for me, I'm eating an anti-inflammatory diet (though I've always needed a candy bar or cookie a day), exercising nearly daily (P90X), my periods are persistent, my school work (I'm a grad student) is enjoyable though intense, and then, in March 2010, I left for Beijing, China. There, my healthy diet was replaced by copious amounts of 7-11 stir fry, white rice and MSG in everything, including the dried fruit and nuts. My exercise routine also stopped because of a bad chest infection and an inability to sleep at night. Planning on returning to the US in May, I took just enough birth control prescription to get me through the trip. However, instead of returning home in May, I stayed for a summer internship and was unaware that birth control was available over-the-counter, so I took a break from the prescription. Of course, my period never returned.

Diagnosis
Back in the US and four-and-a-half months later, I begin going to the doctor. At that time, I had several complaints, lower back pain, blood in my stool, and no period for nearly five months. Additionally, the doctor found blood in my urine. He sent me to a sonographer for an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. The sonographer could not find my ovaries and after several minutes of searching, gave up. Which again, I had still not heard of POF and thus, was a bit miffed at her lack of determination - I knew I had ovaries.

About a week later, I had my OB/GYN appointment and told him about my ultrasound. He explained to me that my condition was common of a woman in menopause because ovaries don't appear on an ultrasound - follicles do - a woman in menopause does not have follicles and thus, the sonographer cannot find her ovaries. So, he drew my blood to test my Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) levels to make sure I wasn't in menopause. At that time, I thought the discussion was funny and the condition curable, so I told all my friends, "My doctor says I could be in menopause - at 30! Ha!"

The following Wednesday, I called for my test results. The practitioner was unavailable, so I authorized her to leave a voicemail, since my class schedule was intense. Of course, as soon as I noticed I had a missed call, I snuck out of class, expecting to hear that I was fine. Instead, I heard an apologetic voice telling me that my hormone levels revealed that I was in menopause. She suggested I make a follow up appointment to go on hormone treatment. That night, I began to research the condition and to learn about its gravity.

The Plan
That was four days ago and I'm starting to accept it, though, admittedly, I have not yet started my new hormone prescription  and I have begun eating anti-inflammatory meals, once again. I recently read that Traditional Chinese Medicine has helped reinstate ovulation in some women. I haven't been able to speak to any professionals who understand the condition to know if I fit into the category of women who sometimes, and seemingly miraculously, conceive. I recognize that my hopefulness and self-determination may be masking my acceptance a bit. I am excited to learn, research, perhaps become a test participant for a National Institute of Health study, such as this: http://poi.nichd.nih.gov/vcc.html (if I have POI, at this point, I don't know if I'm in failure or insufficiency). Also, I will be attending this: http://www.scnm.edu/womens-wellness-clinic-m.html on October 23rd to discuss Traditional Chinese Medicine, and specifically, what I have found here: http://www.acuforconception.com/Conditions/Medical_Research/Medical_Research_POF.htm Also, I will have an appointment with an endocrinologist (hopefully one that specializes in reproductive endocrinology) at some point in the near future. And, of course, I need to investigate health care issues - what's covered, what's not, is there a gap insurance I should look into? Any advice, comments, inquiries are welcome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment