Diagnosed at Age 30

I created this blog four days after my diagnosis at age 30, to share my story, connect with others and to share whatever I learn about premature ovarian failure (and/or insufficiency, depending on future diagnostics).

Friday, October 15, 2010

Traditional Chinese Medicine

Yesterday, I went to the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine & Health Sciences to begin acupuncture and chinese herbology treatment (because, as a school they offer a discount if you allow a student to practice on you and as a full-time student, they further discount your visit). The appointment began with several questions (refreshingly exhausting compared to my other doctors). Then, they asked me to stick out my tongue, at which point the four (one certified doctor and three residents) jumped back and exclaimed, "Oh!" at the same point. Guess my tongue is a bit redder than it should be. Additionally, they felt my pulse, which they described as watery and slippery, but strong. What came next was the worst (and hopefully best) thing to happen in my life.

They stuck needles at the top of my head, in between my eyes, the backsides of my hands near my thumbs, in my pelvic area near my ovaries, on both sides of my knees and on both sides of my ankles. I hate needles and thought that I was either going to have a coronary or pass out while on the table. It was probably the most grueling and traumatic experience I have yet to experience, but I hear that my panic attacks should lessen over time and that the pain should also lessen.

If you've never had a nerve pierced, I'm not sure how to describe the feeling. It's the feeling sense's equivalent of fingernails clawing a chalkboard, I guess. I really do not like it. However, I guess my body responded very well. It grabbed those needles tight. The doctors-in-training were quite impressed. Can't wait til next week.

Additionally, I was prescribed two herb mixes: "The Snake & The Dragon" and "Eight Righteous." The Snake & The Dragon is expected to clear heat from my Liver and Gallbladder systems. The Eight Righteous is also expected to clear heat, but I think was prescribed to me on account of my recently acute UTI's (which were the main focus during this visit).

I've felt extremely exhausted and hungry since my visit. I woke up with intense back pain and a headache in the back of my head this morning, not sure if it was related to the treatment. Will keep updating if anything new happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment